Tuesday, February 17, 2009

It Is Well With My Soul

May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with the power of the Holy Spirit. 
Romans 15:13



On Sunday, quite a few of my friends who go to BYU Idaho lost a friend due to a fatal car accident. This blog is dedicated to them, as well as Josh's family, in hopes that I can bring them a little glimpse of hope while they are feeling quite lost right now.
Whenever I am struggling with something, whether it be overwhelming school work, bad news or the loss of something I loved so much, I listen to this song to clear my head and give me reassurance that God is with me. My dear friend Ben once had me listen to it when I was struggling with life, and it has become a stepping stone to my recovery over any let down in my life.
The story behind the song makes it even more meaningful. This song was written by Horatio Spafford and Phillip Bliss, and was written after many traumatic events in Spafford's life. In 1871, his only son died, and shortly after, the Great Chicago Fire ruined him financially (he had been a very successful lawyer). In 1873, he planned to travel to Europe with his family on the S.S. Ville du Havre, but was delayed due to business concerning problems following the fire. He sent his family ahead of him, and while crossing the Atlantic, the ship rapidly sank after colliding with another ship. His four daughters were killed during this accident. His wife had survived, and while Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed where his daughters had died.
This man was struck with such tragedy, yet God still gave him the peace and comfort to keep moving forward. It is so beautiful to hear of people with such faith and perseverance, and I thank God for such people, because they inspire me to never give up hope.
I pray that whenever you are faced with heartbreak, you can find tranquility through God and through the music that he has placed in people's hearts such as this one. Know that I am praying for all of you that are suffering through Josh's death, and may he be remembered through eternity in yours and everyone's hearts. May he have beautiful and perfect rest, and may you find it in God as well as you grow from this heartbreak.
Please let his family know that I am praying for them.

No comments: