Thursday, February 18, 2010

And To Dust You Shall Return

(Image via Google)

"Lent, in Christian tradition, is the period of the liturgical year leading up to Easter. The traditional purpose of Lent is the preparation of the believer — through prayer, penitence, almsgiving and self-denial — for the annual commemoration during Holy Week of the Death and Resurrection of Jesus, which recalls the events linked to the Passion of Christ and culminates in Easter, the celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ." To read more about the Lenten season, read about it on Wikipedia.


What I have given up/added on for Lent:
1. Read bible every day. I should be doing this always, but every day distractions get into my head and my mind goes elsewhere. This is a time for me to get back into the habit of studying and learning more about my faith, and the history behind it.
2. No lattes. Or any cafe drinks besides plain coffee. Incredible, I know. But really, I have a hard time buying a three dollar latte just because it's a little better than a cup of coffee that's half the price. I am not buying lattes, and if I desire caffeine that much, I will just buy a small coffee. I need to work on keeping cash in my wallet, and not spending it on frivolous things.
3. Attend class and Bible Study Fellowship without fail. I know this seems like an easy one, but it is difficult for me. I get tired easily, or I'm not feeling my best, and I start thinking about all the other things I could be doing besides going to a class that I know doesn't take attendance. I have been doing really well attending class, but I know from the past that around this time, I start to get lazy.
4. No talking behind people's backs. I always say to myself, "I don't talk behind people's backs often.." But I, like almost everyone, do all the time. This will be a difficult thing for me to follow through with, so if you ever hear me doing such, call me out. I need your help with this.

Almighty and Everlasting God,
You have given the human race
Jesus Christ our Savior as a model of humility.
He fulfilled Your Will by becoming Man
And giving His life on the Cross.
Help us to bear witness to You
By following His example of suffering
And make us worthy to share in His Resurrection.
We ask this through our Lord Jesus Christ, Your Son.
Amen.

Question of the blog:
What are you giving up for lent this year?

No comments: