Friday, February 19, 2010

My Baby You'll Be

Some nights, before I go to sleep, I remember my nightly routine as a child. I remember how difficult it was to turn on the sink, and when I would it would come pouring out much to fast. I can remember the white sheets with pink polka dots, and Mickey and Minnie on my pillowcase. My mommy would read I Love You Forever to me, or Goodnight Moon. Long hair, tangled, always up in a ponytail. I remember crossing my parents' foreheads, God bless you and keep you. I like that memory most, because even at nineteen I still get to God-bless-and-keep my parents before bed.



I know it's far off from where I am now, but I am so excited to one day tuck my children into bed. My mother used to say to me, after teeth brushing, pajama changes, and all was said and done, "I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always. As long as I'm living, my baby you'll be." I look forward to the day when I can say that to my little one.

Goodnight stars.
Goodnight air.
Goodnight noises everywhere.

Question of the blog:
Tell me some of your memories from when you were little.

1 comment:

RacheldHurley said...

before bed, my dad would always say "I love you" in sign language. and everyone in my family would say, every night, goodnight I love you God bless you. but kind of fast like it was all one word. and I always thought we said "God bless you" in case you sneezed during the night.