Thursday, September 10, 2009

Completely.


I just finished Mere Christianity.
And I feel like C.S. Lewis and I would have been best friends if he was my age.
So, for those who haven't read C.S. Lewis before, here are two little thoughts he shares in this book that I just thoroughly enjoyed.


That is why the Christian is in a different position from other people who are trying to be good. They hope, by being good, to please God if there is one; or- if they think there is not- at least they hope to deserve approval from good men. But the Christian thinks any good he does come from the Christ-life inside him. He does not think God will love us because we are good, but that God will make us good because He loves us; just as the rood of a greenhouse does not attract the sun because it is bright, but becomes bright because the sun shines on it. -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, pg. 63

Love in this second sense- love as distinct from 'being in love'- is not merely a feeling. It is a deep unity, maintained by the will and deliberately strengthened by habit; reinforced by (in Christian marriages) the grace which both partners ask, and receive, from God. They can have this love for each other even at those moments when they do not like each other; as you love yourself even when you do not like yourself. They can retain this love even when each would easily, if they allowed themselves, be 'in love' with someone else. 'Being in love' first moved them to promise fidelity: this quieter love enables them to keep the promise. It is on this love that the engine of marriage is run: being in love was the explosion that started it. -C.S. Lewis, Mere Christianity, pg 109


I could honestly quote this book all day with all of the things I felt hit home with my thoughts, but I'll save the excitement for you so that you can experience the book for yourself. I highly recommend it. Now, onto the rest of his books. My boyfriend lent me the complete C.S. Lewis signature classics and I am STOKED.

Question of the blog:
What was the last book you read? Would you recommend it to other people?

No comments: